This is a beautiful part of Europe with the undulating landscape, a perfect mirror of quintessential France. Its soft green meadows and vineyards wrap around romantic chateaux, farms and fortified hilltop villages built from honey-coloured stone by the feuding French and English in the 13th century. In the east, ancient caves and rock shelters conceal Europe’s best treasure trove of prehistoric art. The lifeline to this timeless pastoral magnificence is the Dordogne itself; the river which ribbons across the region. Lush green hills, forests and cliff-lined gorges tumble into the meandering rivers below. There are also sun-drenched valleys and historic towns with castles... If you have never been, you really must!
Located in the heart of one of the most beautiful village in France LOUBRESSAC, our hotel offers panoramic views breathtaking over the Dordogne valley and the fortress of Castelnau. 5 kms from the Gulf of Padirac and Rocamadour 17.
- Excursion to Rocamadour: Rocamadour has been attracting visitors since the Middle Ages, when it was an important place of pilgrimage. Built on a cliff-face towering over the Alzou Canyon, it truly enjoys a remarkable setting and still retains its old charm and character. In the town you'll find cobbled streets, shops, a myriad of medieval buildings and a funicular railway to the castle and chapel.
- Excursion to Sarlat and Guided Tour of Jardins Du Manoir D'eyrignac: Today we visit medieval Sarlat, one of the most attractive towns in the area. As you stroll along the paved lanes of the old town, you will see thousands of years of architecture, from cobblestones to flat stone roofs where gold typically predominates. Open-air markets and traders stalls adorn these streets, just as they have for centuries. It is also a haven for artists who flock here to capture the town's golden light. We will then visit the most beautiful of Perigord Frencg Gardens at Eyrignac Manor. These gardens blend the classical, structured balance of French gardens with the movements and imagination of the distant Italian Renaissance (guided tour and admission included).
- Excursion to La Roque Gageac and Cruise on the River Dordogne: Today we have time to explore La Roque Gageac, a spectacular village which nestles into high rock cliffs in a bend of the river; there is also an almost Mediterranean climate. We embark on a trip on a gabare, one of the Dordogne's traditional flat bottomed boats, which carried their cargo through exceptionally shallow water. Our cruise takes us past delightful rolling countryside and some of the most beautiful châteaux in the valley. We will also have some free time to wander through the town and perhaps drink a tea or coffee at one of the delightful cafes. We then move on to nearby Domme, a stunning hill top town. You can walk round the ramparts on the south side of the town between the Port del Bos and the Porte de la Combe. There are some great views across the countryside (and glimpses of some very impressive houses and gardens built just inside the ramparts).
- Day 1: A morning departure to Dover for our ferry crossing to Calais. We then continue through France to our overnight hotel in central France.
- Day 2: After breakfast, we travel through the rolling hills of the Haute-Vienne via the famed china making centre of Limoges where we make a stop for refreshments and sightseeing. We then continue past Brive and into the Dordogne area to arrive at our holiday base for a five night stay. Breakfasts and dinners included.
- Days 3-6: At leisure with three included excursions.
- Day 7: Today it’s farewell to the Dordogne as we return northwards to our final stop in the Paris area.
- Day 8: After breakfast, we continue through France to Calais for our return to England.
Return coach travel; hotel accommodation; entertainment as described; meals and drinks as selected; excursions and inclusions as selected.
Admissions are not included unless stated.
General: Passport required for this holiday. Travel insurance required for this holiday. Ask our travel experts for more information on Leisuretime Insurance.
Please ask us for an itinerary
Prices are per person based on 2 adults sharing; Single room supplements apply: £180 for 8 days. For the latest prices and offers visit us in store, online or call our travel experts.
‘Board’ and ‘Board Basis’ refers to mainstay hotel.